Tuesday 28 January 2014

Burn the cape

At a recent session on 'Work life balance: Life after graduation' that we had at the ol' office, some really interesting things were said by various people. The two hours were very well spent, to say the least! One of the panelists was telling the young people that it's ok - to not be a super woman. It was interesting!

She elaborated that we think we ought to be super mothers, wives, researchers, daughters, and friends, and it's just not practical. So true, isn't it? I don't know if it's worse to not realise that we not super-all-those-things but kind of strive to be some of them at least, or to delude oneself into thinking we are. I guess honesty is best, particularly to oneself!

Kara Goucher is one of my current favorite runners. She was interviewed recently, and it made for very nice reading, it's really amazing how she is keeping up with her training - relentlessly - and doing so well, and how cool it is that her son travels with her for altitude training and what not. But I liked this part the best, when asked what she learnt upon becoming a parent :
"I learned a lot about myself. I learned that I was capable of more than I thought I was and stronger than I thought I was. You know, before my entire life was built around running. My husband was a professional athlete as well. He’s retired now but he was and we built our entire day around running and resting. And then after I had Colt, you know, your child becomes your priority. Running is still very important but it’s secondary. I used to watch other moms, you know, pick up their kids and I would be tired just watching them. But I have learned you are stronger than you think."
Her child is much younger than mine for sure, but  it is kinda exactly what I learnt! That I am stronger than I thought I was. In fact, I am even a stronger runner (though not a faster one) now than I ever was, all my life, through all those years of my body not having gone through pregnancy and the C-Section and all!

I don't know about being superwoman (anyway the costume sucks, couldn't pull it off :-)) but I have really enjoyed the challenge, these past several years, of being all the things I need to be during the course of the day. And I own it. It's my own doing. No one imposing their will on me. 'Cause that's the other thing we said to the girls - Just Own It. 

No comments: