Thursday 30 October 2008

Liquid Diet

I occasionally joke that we are still on liquids. I mean when people start eating their dinner and as far as I can tell, the husb. & I are still sipping (uhh gulping) our liquids. And startlingly, the child has inherited my capacity for liquids and solids. She does pretty well with juices and milk and lassi and so on but is particularly annoying with chewy things like naans and tofu and so on. Anyway we met up with a big bunch of friends over the break and it was great fun as usual. Other than that we drove around all over Chennai and met with all nearby relatives, which was a lot of fun too. The little niece was there and boy, she has a TON of hair. We all took turns coochie-cooing her and of course missed her like crazy when she left early one morning. Somehow the entire family was united in stating that he fully deserved it when she unleashed some potty on the husband. He was acting all smug and showing off and saying look she is so comfy with me; she is hanging out in my lap; she loves her big uncle and so on and really, we all felt very satisfied at the end of it. MIL and I are generally pathetic in estimating the amount of rice required to feed a normal family. This time was no exception and much to everyone's mirth we had about three times as much puliodarai as could feed a small hostel of teenagers. But it was yummy. With great enthusiasm, the husband and I, in one voice, decided to stop denying crackers to our child. It is her decision to abhor and avoid them in her later years, obviously. We bought her some flower pots and those swirly wheel things and of course sparklers. I was quite surprised at how brave she was with all of it, and, how unnecessarily worried I was (I am turning into my own mom, heaven help me). I wore saris like it was no one's business. I even took a nap wearing my sari. Of course the monster was all over the paavadais. We had two exercise sessions (I prudently wore shorts to those; not the sari). A 5k run followed by stairs one day. A 7k run and a game of basketball the other day. The latter with two old buddies from college; it was just too poignantly happy an occasion. We were all back in the old alma mater and lo and behold one of the markers (the guys who put that rangoli white thing to mark the tracks and so on) whom we know from our days as students showed up. He got us a ball and some water. We played. It was nice. I held back my aggression though regretted it later when in the night drinking session the boys felt smug on winning the game. Pssh. Food-wise, apart from mountains of puliodarai, I was very careful and cautious. I ate two pieces of Kaju Katli. One very small piece of thattai. Two vadais (that MIL made); and two more vadais (from Saravana Bhavan, with the breakfast idlis). When we ate out, I ate rice and sambar and curd. In small quantities. I ate one Gulab Jamoon that a relative offerred us (she had made it herself). BUT I woke up yesterday and my stomach was lurching around. I am still in bad shape. Tired and stomach is cramping. Must test how the lunch will work out... See, liquids are better.

12 comments:

Babbi said...

liquids ARE better.. n Mom doesnt scold either!!
as for the smugs- when i was about 12, i lost this kiddie football game to the guys. And they teased me so much about it, I went and punched one of 'em. The guy was bleeding n that was perhaps the only time i was dragged to the Principal's office! try it.. theres no Principal for you!!

PG said...

hee hee ... festivals are fun, and an excuse for great food!
go baby go - wear sarees - you do look great, i still remember the black bengal cotton saree that you wore one night to meet you know who...was it that night when our dear aus friend kept watch for you while you sneaked into your room quietly? maybe it was some other day. do you still have the red saree? and airspy - yours was purple? ok girls - bye - i am taking a trip down nostalgic lane

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

babbi-
thats all done with. there is many a male nose that bears my mark from my wild basketball days. but these are guys i love. we have shared a lot of life together, how can i hurt them? i miss them so much all the time and the time together is so precious. Its OK. Its just a game. we pretty much went all the way to chennai to see them, and play ball with them!
so, sorry buddy! no can do! but yes, that is a good response in theory. :-)

pg-
sorry girl! cant recall. though vaguely, the sneaking back evening was jeans i would have thought. to be frank i looked dorky in those saris back then (unlike you in that Green one..remember?). now i am much better (even if i say so myself). I gave away the dubai red sari to my mum. Dont know why!
its time to collect some new memories, clearly!! what say? trip to Oz in december? You on?

PG said...

kb-cant make it to aus this year. permit processing underway. also we r going to hawaii for thanksgiving. aus-nz has been on my list for some time now. we should do it.

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

ok PG though I dont know what "Permit Processing" means. :-)
stomach still hurts. arg.

dipali said...

Get well soon, Kenny! But it all sounds good, your trip:, including the little niece etc.
Happy liquids to you:)

Airspy said...

the main culprit is the liquid again - water. always use teh local water - boiled.

i am very serious about this Oz bit. tell me what should i do. are spouses and children allowed. how do i get a permit or visa or whaterver. what time in december?

Choxbox said...

kenny you went to aloomattar? wow. last was there in '98.

PG said...

get well soon, kenny. it's my work permit.

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

gals,
thanks. i feel better now though still not very energetic. meanwhile i went to Pune and came back, and am off to Bangkok tonight.
pg- Good luck with that! Sorry am out of touch of late..

Choxbox said...

say sawasdee to 'em for me.

PG said...

kenny - bangkok, wow! i love thai food! yummy yummy! have fun...